Author Topic: Winter pics through the microscope - QHY2  (Read 5301 times)

Astrodan

• InterCamDeveloper
    • View Profile
    • Email
Winter pics through the microscope - QHY2
« on: January 09, 2008, 08:18:06 PM »
QHY2 using Astrowin software for the capture.  2x2 Binning, 20ms,  Gain 17,  Offset 63.

Amoebae are fairly common free living single cell animals.  This one is constrained by "Restrain", a solution used to slow microscopic animals.  I'll try to get us some nice color stuff as I learn more on this aspect of the cameras.  Enjoy,

Dan
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 05:23:11 AM by Astrodan »

Gama

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Winter pics through the microscope - QHY2
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »
You need to stop imaging my wifes cooking !.

Theo.

Astrodan

• InterCamDeveloper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008, 09:13:19 AM »
Thanks Theo, 

My wife had exactly the same opinion.  The water was from my aquarium, and, after I did a little research about this particular amoebae, I started to handle things with more care.  Apparently, this particular variety can cause illness in humans. 

As for the photography, setup, focus, and lighting turned out to be much harder than I expected.  I spent the better part of a day just getting these.  It turns out the QHY2 download time is too long for most of the more active protozoa using the two frame exposure.   One frame exposures are slower, and of course, binning automatically eliminated color photography. 

By the way, I really like your website.  Very informative and good data, I use it often for information about the cameras. 

Dan 

Gama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008, 12:47:01 AM »
Why is it 2 frames ?,. Maybe a dark room and a flash gun to iluminate the subject will get extremely fast imaging time, and better sharpness.

Theo

Astrodan

• InterCamDeveloper
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008, 09:10:29 PM »
Hi Theo,

Why 2 frames with the QHY2...Well, Qiu will have to provide a confirmation, but, I suspect he uses the Frame Readout and High Frame Readout modes of the ICX412AQ ccd.  The normal Frame Readout takes 2 frames to make the picture, where the High (speed Frame Readout mode looks to be 1 frame.  Both are color, but the one frame mode is considerable less in resolution.  There are two other readout modes, which I believe Qiu uses for the focus frame.

As for lighting, stars are easier for a QHY2.  The microscope gets tough because the optics below the object actually focus the light exactly on the organism.  Then, the objective and eyepiece (kinda like a little telescope) are focused on the top of the organism.  Add the fact the water is constantly evaporating causing a flowing current, filled with particles, and the organism wants to move, and you can quickly understand why video is so popular with microscopes.  I don't know why I thought focusing might be easier, but, I really learned to like the telescope that day.       
 :D
And yes Theo, you're right on the money that fast times for shutter and download seem essential.

For those interested in this, I found this nice web site with lots of good info:

http://micro.magnet.fsu.edu/primer/photomicrography/errorindex.html

Best wishes,
Dan