Author Topic: Jupiter with my qhy5v. It could be better  (Read 1530 times)

Manny

• View Profile
Jupiter with my qhy5v. It could be better
« on: October 03, 2010, 06:51:58 PM »
Hi Folks:
This is my first serious attempt at Jupiter using Registax5. (Learning how to use for editing)
I would like to know how I can bring more detail. I have seen other pictures of Jupiter with similar planetary cameras, but better results. Perhaps I need to know a bit more my qhy5v. Anyways, here is the info.
Equipment: EQ6 Pro. Camera=qhy5v. Celestron OTA. 9.25
Date: October 01, 2010.
Exposure. AVI 3x 2 minutes
Software. Registax5
Temperature. 10 Degrees Celsius.

Comments are very welcome

Clear skies to all.

Manny

Artyom

• ICQ Messenger - 286930851
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sigma72ac@yahoo.com
    • Youtube
    • View Profile
    • AstroDrome
    • Email
Re: Jupiter with my qhy5v. It could be better
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 08:15:38 PM »
I think you need to closely inspect focusing (maybe by using a kind of Hartman or Bahtinov mask on a bright star), the OTA collimation, limit an exposure time to 1/30 sec or less (to freeze an air turbulence), find a place/time with a good seeing and use some kind of projection eyepiece or barlow lens to enlarge scaling (the qhy5v has a quite big pixel).

Here is my lamerish shot with QHY5V (9.25"/F10 Maksutov-Cassegrain on EQ6, 2x Barlow lens). Its quite noisy and oversharped, sorry.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010, 10:31:06 PM by Artyom »

Manny

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 03:12:11 PM »
Hello Artyom:

Thank you very much for your input. I truly appreciate it.

I did used a 2x Barlow. Perhaps I should use a 3x Barlow and see what happens.

My OTA is collimated. I though that it was the issue before, until I found that my CGEM mount was having problems. I will shorten the exposures to see if better results flourish.

Seeing conditions were not bad in Toronto that day.

I hope something better next time I aim at Jupiter.

Best regards and clear skies.
Manny 8)

Artyom

• ICQ Messenger - 286930851
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - sigma72ac@yahoo.com
    • Youtube
    • View Profile
    • AstroDrome
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 11:18:51 AM »
Hello Manny
I'm sure your next pictures will be more detailed and I will be glad to see them here.

Crystal seeing!
Artyom

rick

• View Profile
    • Nature & Astrophotography
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2010, 09:53:46 AM »
Looks good for your one of the first attempts. Is this camera using some kind of video compression? Can you post here result from red channel? How the seeing condition  in pickering scale was?

Cheers, Rick
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 09:56:16 AM by rick »
8"/f5 Newton + 76/300 | EQ-5M |  TV Plossl 8mm
QHY5 mono passive cooled | filters visual R,B, Baader CCD R,G,ND,CaK, IR(760 and 950nm)
Panasonic FZ-18 |  macro 5:1| Tele 1.7x

Manny

• View Profile
Re: Jupiter with my qhy5v. It could be better. Reply to Rick
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2010, 11:53:24 AM »
Hi Rick:

Thank you for your comments and assistance. I don't know what kind of compression my qhy5v has. All I know is that I am using the avi function. I have checked the settings and I think everything is okay. I used the planet resolution. Honestly, I don't know what is the pickering scale, all I can say is that conditions were very good that day in Toronto eventhough there is lots of light pollution here. Toronto is a large city. Sometimes I wonder if the gain is the key, because when I adjust the gain, some detail appear but very faint. The exposure I used last time was 3x60 secs avi. After stacking all the frames and processing the image, that was the best result I could get. I used Registax5 and PS

I will try to post results for red channel once I know how to do it.

I will try tonight again, it seems that we are going to have clear skies and weather will be 9 degrees Celsius.

Again, thank you very much and I look forward to get better imaging results.

Best regards,

Manny

rick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 03:16:08 AM »
Isn't QHY5v monochrome? I think you have imaging through RGB filter set. So I wanted to see the image taken with the Red one. BTW, what is the planet resolution? Is possible to image at lower resolutions and faster framerates? I capture @ 640x480px and I'm capable of around 25 fps. Camera is simply very slow @ full 1,3MPx resolution. What was your exposure time (per frame) in QGVideo (or you use another software for capturing)? You may try higher gain, it should help i little, but than you get noisier image.

Hope you tonight get some better conditions to bring here another, sharper Jupiter image :).

PS: Pickering seeing scale, just for info:
http://www.damianpeach.com/pickering.htm

Cheers, Rick
QHY5 mono passive cooled | filters visual R,B, Baader CCD R,G,ND,CaK, IR(760 and 950nm)

Manny

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 03:21:34 PM »
Hi Rick

QHY5V is a colour camera. In my last image (posted today) I used the planetary resolution, thus, a better image was produced in comparison to the first one. I know now what it takes to get a better result. I thank you very much for your input and for the information on the Pickering scale.

Best regards,

Clear skies.

Manny

rick

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2010, 01:31:34 PM »
Ok, it was propably your ifno about exposure, what was myslead me. Excatly "Exposure. AVI 3x 2 minutes". What does it mean? I've been thing that is 2 minutes of video for R, G and B filter. But, if the mera is color what is the purpose of 3 two minutes videos? Can't you capture simply 6 minute. Or I ask differently - how you process this videos? Thanks

Rick