Author Topic: My qhy8 produces stripes  (Read 3893 times)

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
My qhy8 produces stripes
« on: October 13, 2009, 12:44:36 AM »
Hi!

several months ago I bought a qhy8, here in germany known as alccd 6c (dont know why :)). Anyway, I noticed that it tends to produce stripes, espacially in preview mode. It was very bad yesterday. I made an avi file of the preview.
http://www.astrob.org/diverses/streifen.avi

Every frame in this video has an exposure time of one second, 60 frames were captured. I also streched the histogramm so you can see the stripes better. After that video, I made a 5 minuten exposure with slow downloading and 1x1 binning, and I got nasty stripes in the middle of the frame. Curiously, the following three images were all clear. Any ideas?

Thanks.

QiuHY

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: My qhy8 produces stripes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 02:58:12 AM »
Hello,

I think it should be the contact problem of the cable. Maybe the USB cable maybe the S-video cable etc. Please try it in a stable condition to see if there is strip happen. then give a movement of the cable and see if there is strip.

Best regards,

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 02:07:53 PM »
Hi!

I tried much, but I still get those damn stripes... sometimes they are small, sometimes almost as high as the half ccd.... I dont get it... there seems to be no pattern, and I cannot reproduce the stripes by moving some wires... I also checked the power supply, it gives +18,x or something and -17.x V in the svhs cable... so I dont think its something about the power supply... any ideas?

Gama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2009, 02:47:54 AM »
Have you tried a different USB cable ?, also what is the rating of the power supply ?, and do you have anything else plugged into that power supply, like your mount etc..

Theo.

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2009, 03:12:48 AM »
Yes, I tried 4 different usb cables.

The power supply is an older supply, originally used for a TFT, but it gives 12V and around 4A. Nothing else is on it, and it is directly plugged into the 230V supply of my appartment.

Gama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2009, 03:20:03 AM »
Is it a regulated power supply ?, i know its a silly question, but the more things we know the faster we can get you back outside.

Looks very strange indeed, nasty looking lines, but seem to be as if it was electrical interference looking.

The hunt continues for an answer.....

Theo.

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 03:26:34 AM »
No, it has a fixed voltage of 12V.

Only thing so far I could not test:
Power Supply (will test it later in the university with two seperate powersupplies, one for the cooling, one for the camera)
Laptop. My other PC runs on Windows 7 x64, as far as I know, there are drivers for it, but ccdcap does not find it.
The power splitter (?)... the thing that needs 12V and gives 12V for the cooling and 18V for the kamera. I do not have a second unit to test.
SVHS cable
Supply Cable for cooling.

I will buy another svhs cable later, so I will test this aswell...

Gama

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 03:34:32 AM »
OK, so it is not regulated, we are getting closer.

Try and use a regulated supply. If the voltage falls too low, it may cause these issues when the TEC is drawing current.
It may not be, but we can then eliminate the supply as a cause.
I have had some users with 12V and 2.5 and 3 amp supply having problems.

Theo

QiuHY

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 06:50:10 AM »
Hello,

If the new Svideo can not solve problem. I think it need to do a repair.

For detail repair things please send a help ticket.

Best regards,

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »
But, if the power supply would be the cause, shouldnt the problem go away if I turn TEC off?

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2009, 03:44:11 PM »
tested a new svhs cable... first thing, the svhs port seems to be a bit too deep in the body of the camera... I had to cut off a bit of isolation of the new cable in order to plug it in deep enough.

But I still have those stripes.... and something else showed. I dont know why, but now (in 4x4 mode) I also have strange diagonal stripes which vanish right after I disconnect the power to the cooling, but then I still have those original stripes.

@QiuHY
If it should be repaired, is it an inconvience if I bought it at a vendor in germany? will send a ticket right away.

QiuHY

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 08:10:40 PM »
Hello,

OK.We will arrange a repairment. There is no matter that you order from dealer or another way.
I will process this repairment on ticket system.

Best regards,

Arp

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2009, 09:47:20 AM »
Hello!

I tested one more thing at my fathers house. He has a regulated power supply. When I use one supply for the cooling, and one supply for the dc box, at least the diagonal stripes are gone. If both, the cooling, and the camera are plugged into the DC 101 box, I get those diagonal stripes which vanish if I turn of the cooling. So I guess, maybe there is something wrong in the dc 101. As for the horizontal stripes, maybe still something wrong with the camera itself.

QiuHY

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2009, 11:41:06 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for your test again. Yes.It is best to send camera back to do a test and repair. I think the horizonal stripes is somewhere lost well contact. 

Best regards,