QHYCCD

QHY Pole Master Low latitude refraction compesation

QHY Pole Master Low latitude refraction compesation
« on: April 16, 2016, 10:46:50 am »
Hi,
I live at Latitude 18N. Does the software compensate for refraction? At the end of the manual there's a table: Refraction vs Altitude, Bennett (1982).

Thanks in advance,

JB

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: QHY Pole Master Low latitude refraction compesation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2016, 11:28:25 pm »
Hello,

It should ok. In the current PoleMaster software it has the refraction correction function. In 18degree it should work.

This correction is based on that curves. I would like to know how about the final precision that you get. 

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2016, 03:02:32 pm »
Thanks Qiu,

Actually I'm on a Losmandy G-11, I'm still waiting for the adapter availability, My local shop is astrofactors or optcorp, neither are shown on the order list. Is there a time frame for availability?

Thanks in advance,

JB

Hello,

It should ok. In the current PoleMaster software it has the refraction correction function. In 18degree it should work.

This correction is based on that curves. I would like to know how about the final precision that you get. 

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun

QiuHY

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 11:06:32 pm »
Hello,

G11 adapter has been in our stock. Please contact the dealer directly. Maybe their website update is not so frequency.

Best regards,
Qiu Hongyun
Qiu Hongyun

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2016, 08:08:50 am »
Thank you Qiu!   :)

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 11:52:52 am »
Hi,
I live at Latitude 18N. Does the software compensate for refraction? At the end of the manual there's a table: Refraction vs Altitude, Bennett (1982).

Thanks in advance,

JB

Same issue here, but I live at latitude 3.5S (AzEq-5 mount). According to the graph, that is a 13 arc minute refraction deviation. Will PoleMaster work for me? Planning to buy it from Astroshop next month, while on a trip to Germany

Thanks

Bernon

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:06:44 pm »
I've used Polemaster from 14 degrees N. In my case refraction shifts the apparent position of the NCP by nearly 4 arc-minutes and the PM software corrects for this.

ZY

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:34:18 pm »
Hi,

There is the function for astronomical refraction in the polemater software.

Best regards!
zy

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:32 pm »
Bernon - I'm not sure Polemaster will work for you if you are at latitude 3.5 degrees south. The stars around the southern pole must be visible for PM to do its alignment and although the PM camera is good you would need to have an exceptionally clear and flat southern horizon to use Polemaster. For myself, Polaris is sometimes hidden by bamboo trees and if I can't see it in the PM camera then I can't do the alignment. My alternative is SharpCap Pro because it has a polar alignment procedure that will work so long as a region within 7 degrees of the pole is visible, even if Polaris and the NCP are not visible. But I guess SharpCap may not be suitable for you either because that region is still less than 10 degrees above your horizon. I'm curious how do you do your polar alignment currently - do you use the AZEQ5 handset's PA routine and then refine with PHD2 drift alignment?